The continuation and flourishing of human life depends on protecting the well-being of our soil.
• The major causes of soil degradation include deforestation , overexploitation for firewood , overgrazing , agricultural activities , and industrialization.
• 40% of the globe’s farmlands are degraded, and 20% are in danger of becoming deserts.
• The loss of freshwater reserves and the loss of topsoil have been decreasing worldwide yields for many staple crops.
“The nation that destroys its soil, destroys itself.”
—Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Resources for Further Learning
• Click here to learn about soil from the International Soil Reference and Information Center.
• Click here for up-to-the-minute data on soil erosion and other statistics.
• Permaculture is part of the solution. Read on to learn more.
“Essentially, all life depends upon the soil …
There can be no life without soil and no soil without life;
they have evolved together.”
—Charles E. Kellogg