The Switch: Educating and Inspiring Individuals to Make the Switch to Sustainable Living and Whole-Earth Consciousness
Organization: The Switch
Author: Paula Orozco
The Switch is an environmental initiative which will join 350.org’s campaign on 10/10/10 with screenings of environmental documentaries to educate and inspire individuals to make the switch to sustainable living and whole-Earth consciousness.
The Switch’s mission is to increase awareness and inspire action through screening events of today’s most powerful environmental documentaries, followed by notable guest speakers and group discussions. By featuring these moving films from around the world, we weave threads of hope and collaboration. Through our yearly initiative we aim to create a venue through which the public can gain awareness and engage in dialogue intended to facilitate social action.
Three environmental documentaries will be screened simultaneously at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 10, 2010:
- No Impact Man (2009) at Indie Screen, 285 Kent Avenue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn – Buy tickets
- Crude (2009), and The Age of Stupid (2009) at Tribeca Cinemas, 54 Varick Street in Manhattan – Buy tickets
Themes explored in the documentaries include global warming, over-reliance on oil, over-consumption, clean energy, indigenous rights, personal responsibility and global society.
All proceeds from the screenings on 10/10/10 benefit the following three organizations:
- GrowNYC: Celebrating it’s 40th year, GrowNYC is a hands-on non-profit which improves New York City’s quality of life through environmental programs that transform communities block by block and empower all New Yorkers to secure a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
- Conversations with the Earth: Conversations with the Earth is an indigenous led multi-media campaign which enables indigenous communities to give dramatic first-hand accounts of their experience of climate change.
- No Impact Project: Empowering citizens to make choices which better their lives and lower their environmental impact through lifestyle change, community action, and participation in environmental politics.
This year’s events are a launch for The Switch’s yearly initiatives including NYC’s own environmental film festival on 11/11/11. Fundraisers will also be held throughout the year. Yearly initiatives will continue to expand through development of partnerships for educational environmental film programs in NY and NJ schools and via community organizations.
350.org’s Global Work Party day: 10/10/10 is a global day of action in response to the climate crisis with over 1,400 groups from over 100 countries taking action to raise awareness and to send a pointed political message to leaders: if we can get to work, you can get to work too-on the legislation and the treaties that will make all our work easier in the long run.
Climate Crisis Fact: 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide—measured in “Parts Per Million” in our atmosphere. 350 PPM—it’s the number humanity needs to get back to as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change.
blog comments powered by Disqus