10:10:10 – Global Day of Doing Triggers Tidal Wave of Events
Organization: 10:10 Global
Author: Stephen Barnes
10:10 has joined forces with international campaign group 350.org to co-ordinate 10:10:10, the biggest-ever day of positive action on climate change, on Sunday, October 10, 2010. Together we can trigger a tidal wave of emissions reductions and send a powerful message to world leaders that we are already two steps ahead: Busy cutting carbon in local communities, businesses and organizations on every continent.
Thousands of events are planned around the world: in Croatia and Russia 10,000 schools are planting trees; in the Netherlands there’s a carbon-cutting TV telethon; in Japan sumo wrestlers are cycling to training in Japan; in India and The Maldives solar installations are going up on the homes of world leaders.
What can I do?
Here are a few suggestions for activities you could do on 10:10:10.
- Organize a carrotmob and persuade a local business to go green.
- Unveil your brand new video conferencing facilities, which will mean at least 10 percent less flying!
- Install a solar water panel, wind turbine or PV array on your school, sports club or place of worship.
- Recruit a team of volunteers to fit free insulation into every loft in the neighborhood.
- Launch a bike-to-work/school incentive scheme or run a bike-repair workshop.
- Ceremoniously cut the ribbon to your newly installed office water fountain (So long, long-distance bottled water!).
- Start up a lift-share scheme or car-pool with your friends.
- Hold a swap-shop event where people swap second hand clothes, furniture and books, instead of buying new.
- Launch a new low-carbon local seasonal dish in your restaurant or canteen, or start up Meat-Free Mondays.
- Meet up to celebrate the digging of a community/school vegetable patch to grow food locally.
- Tell us what you’re up to, and register large events here: http://www.350.org/oct10;
- Sign up to 10:10 if you haven’t already: http://www.1010global.org/allcountries/people/join; and
- Add your name to this public pressure campaign to get solar panels installed on the White House and the homes of other world leaders in time for 10:10:10: http://putsolaron.it/road-trip/
blog comments powered by Disqus